Re: [netmod] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-01.txt

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Mon, 20 May 2019 06:44 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
CC: "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 06:44:26 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.134.31.203]
Subject: Re: [netmod] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-01.txt

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de]
发送时间: 2019年5月20日 14:20
收件人: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
抄送: netmod@ietf.org

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 05:57:02AM +0000, Qin Wu wrote:
> [...]

This is not what the text says. And given the parameters of copy-config, it is obvious that you can't copy to multiple datastores.

> Is it really useful to expose factory default to copy config? Or said
> differenlty, would it not make sense to fix copy-config (at some other
> place) so that it can generically work with new datastores?
> [Qin]: Note that this is just an option feature to <copy-config> to assign one single target datastore with factory default content, I am wondering why it can not be defined in this draft in a more generic way?
> Even in RFC6241bis or a separate draft, if you add this feature support to <copy-config>, you will augment <copy-config> in the same way, if my understanding is correct.

No. You would allow any datastore, not a specific one.

[Qin]: I see, I think we could put such generic extension in this draft?
e.g., define "leaf any"

>    The content of the factory-default datastore is usually not security
>    sensitive as it is the same on any device of a certain type.
>
> I am not sure this is true.
>
> For non-trivial devices, the default is likely not static but something that takes into account device features available and the specific hardware configuration present. It is actually somewhat unclear what the factory-default datastore contains; the stuff I can expect to see in <running> after the reset or some static stuff that may be tweaked during the boot process to yield the initial <running>.
> Or are we pretending these two are always the same?
> [Qin]: We emphasize "usually not", to address your comments, we could add:
> "
> When its contents are considered sensitive, It is RECOMMENDED that the
> factory default Data is encrypted."

You propose to invent another layer of encryption???
[Qin]: Not my intention, I think factory default data may have be encrypted already.
We could reuse it.

/js

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>