Re: [netmod] 6991bis: address-with-prefix-length

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 02 April 2019 12:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 14:46:40 +0200 (CEST)
To: j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de
Cc: ietfc@btconnect.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] 6991bis: address-with-prefix-length

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> If you go back ~20 messages, my proposal was ip-address-prefix,
> ipv4-address-prefix, and ipv6-address-prefix.

Do we agree that this type really specifies two values in one?  If so
I think the "and" is useful.

Also note that the current text in RFC 6991 says:

     The ipv4-prefix type represents an IPv4 address prefix.

so having a type ipv4-address-prefix for something that is not (only) an
"ipv4 address prefix" is imo confusing.

/martin