Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-entity-06

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 21 December 2017 11:37 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 12:37:46 +0100
To: netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-entity-06

Hi,

I need WG input on this issue.  The question is how to handle
'serial-num', 'mfg-name', and 'model-name'.  I think they should all
be treated the same.  Based on previous WG discussion (see e.g. the
mail thread "draft-ietf-netmod-entity issue #13"), I think they should
all be configurable, but the configured value is only used in
operational state if the system cannot read it from the hardware.

So I suggest the following changes:

OLD:

      leaf serial-num {
        type string;
        config false;
        description
          "The vendor-specific serial number string for the
           component.  The preferred value is the serial number
           string actually printed on the component itself (if
           present).";
        reference "RFC 6933: entPhysicalSerialNum";
      }

NEW:

      leaf serial-num {
        type string;
        description
          "The vendor-specific serial number string for the
           component.  The preferred value is the serial number
           string actually printed on the component itself (if
           present).

           This leaf can be configured.  There are two use cases for
           this; as a 'post-it' note if the server cannot determine
           this value from the component, or when pre-provisioning a
           component.

           If the server can determine the serial number from the
           component, then that value is always used in operational
           state, even if another value has been configured.";
        reference "RFC 6933: entPhysicalSerialNum";
      }

And corresponding text for 'mfg-name' and 'model-name'.

And also:

OLD:

         When the server detects a new hardware component, it
         initializes a list entry in the operational state.

         If the server does not support configuration of hardware
         components, list entries in the operational state are
         initialized with values for all nodes as detected by the
         implementation.

         Otherwise, the following procedure is followed:

           1. If there is an entry in the /hardware/component list in
              the intended configuration with values for the nodes
              'class', 'parent', 'parent-rel-pos' that are equal to
              the detected values, then:

           1a. If the configured entry has a value for 'mfg-name'
               that is equal to the detected value, or if the
               'mfg-name' value cannot be detected, then the list
               entry in the operational state is initialized with the
               configured values for all configured nodes, including
               the 'name'.

               Otherwise, the list entry in the operational state is
               initialized with values for all nodes as detected by
               the implementation.  The implementation may raise an
               alarm that informs about the 'mfg-name' mismatch
               condition.  How this is done is outside the scope of
               this document.

           1b. Otherwise (i.e., there is no matching configuration
               entry), the list entry in the operational state is
               initialized with values for all nodes as detected by
               the implementation.

         If the /hardware/component list in the intended
         configuration is modified, then the system MUST behave as if
         it re-initializes itself, and follow the procedure in (1).";

NEW:

         When the server detects a new hardware component, it
         initializes a list entry in the operational state.

         If the server does not support configuration of hardware
         components, list entries in the operational state are
         initialized with values for all nodes as detected by the
         implementation.

         Otherwise, the following procedure is followed:

           1. If there is an entry in the /hardware/component list in
              the intended configuration with values for the nodes
              'class', 'parent', 'parent-rel-pos' that are equal to
              the detected values, then the list entry in operational
              state is initialized with the configured values,
              including the 'name'.  The leafs 'serial-num',
              'mfg-name', and 'model-name' are treated specially; see
              their descriptions for details.

           2. Otherwise (i.e., there is no matching configuration
              entry), the list entry in the operational state is
              initialized with values for all nodes as detected by
              the implementation.

         If the /hardware/component list in the intended
         configuration is modified, then the system MUST behave as if
         it re-initializes itself, and follow the procedure in (1).";

/martin