[netmod] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding-09: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 04 September 2019 00:34 UTC

From: Adam Roach via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding@ietf.org, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, netmod-chairs@ietf.org, lberger@labn.net, netmod@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 17:34:19 -0700
Subject: [netmod] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding-09: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding-09: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding/

COMMENT:

Thanks for taking on this work to fill a hole in the tools that
we have for production of RFCs. I have one fairly major comment
and several editorial suggestions.

Abstract:

>  This document defines two strategies for handling long lines in
>  width-bounded text content.  One strategy is based on the historic
>  use of a single backslash ('\') character to indicate where line-

Nit: "historical"

§1:

>  According to the RFC Editor,
>  there is currently no convention in place for how to handle long
>  lines in such inclusions, other than advising authors to clearly
>  indicate what manipulation has occurred.

This won't age well. Perhaps "Historically, there has been no
RFC-Editor-recommended convention in place for how to handle..."

>  This document defines two strategies for handling long lines in
>  width-bounded text content.  One strategy is based on the historic
>  use of a single backslash ('\') character to indicate where line-

Nit: "historical"

§7.1.1:

>   NOTE: '\' line wrapping per BCP XXX (RFC XXXX)

Using this string as the start of the specially-wrapped section
seems somewhat problematic, as it forecloses on the possibility
of also *citing* this BCP at that point in the document. For example,
if I were to use this format, I would definitely want to use a string
more of the format:

    NOTE: '\' line wrapping per BCP XXX ([RFC XXXX])

(taking note of the added brackets).

If this has already been debated in the working group and the current text
is the result of carefully considering this issue and deciding that the
use of the specified string has benefits that outweigh the drawback of
not being able to cite the document per ordinary convention, then don't afford
my suggestion any undue weight. I'm not trying to change a consensus decision.

But if this is a simple oversight, I think it does need to be given
significant thought. For example, I personally am rather likely to elect to do
things "the old way" in my own documents rather than using this format because
of the awkwardness of properly citing a normative reference.

This same comment applies to §8.1.1, of course.

> Appendix A.  POSIX Shell Script: rfcfold

Please add [POSIX.1-2017] as a reference.