Re: [netmod] Review comments for module-tags-02

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Wed, 17 October 2018 10:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 12:23:50 +0200
To: chopps@chopps.org
Cc: rohitrranade@huawei.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] Review comments for module-tags-02

Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org> wrote:

> > On Oct 17, 2018, at 12:09 AM, Rohit R Ranade <rohitrranade@huawei.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > 1. In the desrciption of leaf-list tag
> >   "
> >   The operational view of this list will contain all
> >              user-configured tags as well as any predefined tags that
> >              have not been masked by the user using the masked-tag leaf
> >              list below.
> >   "
> >   ==> So the predefined tags, should be output as <default> origin in
> >   <operational> ?
> >   If so, I would suggest renaming them to "default" tags.
>
> default has this in it's definition:
>
>     "The default origin is only used when the configuration has not been
>      provided by any other source."
>
> The predefined tags are being added due to the module definition or by
> the vendor implementing the module, and the user would be adding to
> this set (not replacing) when they configure tags (and thus the reason
> for the mask). So I think predefined tags should have "system"
> origin. We can add text to the document to clarify this if others
> agree.

I agree that the origin should be "system" for these tags.

> > 2. For "masked-tag", if the purpose is to only mask "predefined" tags,
> > why not rename
> > as masked-default-tag or masked-predefined-tag ?
> > Also if a tag say tag-1 (not predefined) is added to this list, and
> > tag-1 added to "tag", the tag-1
> > will still be output in <operational>, which may look confusing to the
> > user as the tag-1 will exist
> > in both "tag" and "masked-tag". Changing the "masked-tag" may help in
> > this case.
>
> What's the compelling reason to make this more complex? Right now, the
> predefined tags are added, the configured tags are added, and then the
> masks are applied. KISS is the goal.

But this is not what the draft says.  The description of masked-tag
says that predefined tags are removed.

Keep it simple, but make sure the description is clear.  So maybe add
your 3 steps above to the draft, and remove the word "predefined" from
the description of masked-tag.

/martin