Re: [netmod] draft-wilton-netmod-interface-properties-00

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Wed, 26 July 2017 09:27 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Robert Wilton <rwilton@cisco.com>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 11:27:13 +0200
Subject: Re: [netmod] draft-wilton-netmod-interface-properties-00

Hi Rob,

I think this is a very useful work and we will probably implement it
soon. A few comments:

- I support the proposed redesign of "iana-if-type" but I believe this
  module should in fact be declared historic. For one, the name of the
  most frequently used type, "ethernetCsmacd", is not only notoriously
  hard to remember but it is also a misnomer: these days, almost no
  Ethernet network uses CSMA/CD any more. Instead, "csma-cd" can be
  another identity that could be added to the mix of bases where
  necessary.

- Interface type identities should be defined in a distributed way and
  not in a single module as in "iana-if-type". A module defining
  configuration and state data for a particular technology should also
  define the corresponding identity or identities. This way, the choice
  of interface types will always be limited to those supported by a
  specific server.

- In Appendix B I don't understand the comment in the definition of
  container "encapsulation": what could be the abstract type and how
  would it aid extensibility?

Thanks, Lada