Re: [netmod] import-by-semver issue

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Sun, 24 March 2019 15:21 UTC

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 16:21:30 +0100
To: rwilton@cisco.com
Cc: j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] import-by-semver issue

"Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <rwilton@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Juergen,

This is by design, of course.  With an "open" import (not import by
revision), the server implementor is free to implement any set of
modules that work together.

> So, I would argue that "import-by-version" doesn't make YANG compilers
> any less consistent that they are already today, since that
> inconsistency already exists.

I don't think I understand Andy's objection.   I also think that this
is just another implementation detail.

> I presume that the real solution here is to explicitly define the full
> set of implemented, import-only-modules to the compiler so that it
> always compiles a consistent schema.  Perhaps other compilers have
> different ways to solve this problem.
>
> Note, I also think that YANG library has a similar inconsistency.
> I.e. there is no guarantee that two different compilers will construct
> exactly the same datastore schema from the YANG library output.

Can you elaborate?  Given an instance of YANG library, it should be
clear which set of modules are used.