Re: [netmod] [netconf] Comments on draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf-05

Rohit R Ranade <rohitrranade@huawei.com> Wed, 25 April 2018 04:22 UTC

From: Rohit R Ranade <rohitrranade@huawei.com>
To: "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 04:22:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.18.150.121]
Subject: Re: [netmod] [netconf] Comments on draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf-05

Hi All,

I plan to implement this draft and hence had some implementation related clarifications.

1.       I feel that there should be more text added about "origin" filtering mechanism. I am not clear about some aspects of origin filtering.

RFC 8342 : NMDA RFC provides the below example

<interfaces xmlns:or="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-origin"
                 or:origin="or:intended">
       <interface>
         <name>lo0</name>
         <description>loopback</description>
         <ip-address or:origin="or:system">127.0.0.1</ip-address>
         <ip-address>::1</ip-address>
       </interface>
     </interfaces>
If user provides <origin-filter> as "system" ONLY, then he will NOT get this record in output. Because the keys have originated from "intended" . Right ?
So, If user wants to get the system originated data, he MUST give all the origins in the <origin-filter> where the keys of the system data have originated from. Can you please confirm whether this is OK.

Another example given in RFC 8342 is as below:
     <interfaces xmlns:or="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-origin"
                 or:origin="or:intended">
       <interface or:origin="or:system">
         <name>lo0</name>
         <ip-address>127.0.0.1</ip-address>
         <ip-address>::1</ip-address>
       </interface>
     </interfaces>

?  Here keys are originated from "system", but it is under container of "intended". So if user gives "system" for "origin-filter", the output will still NOT have this instance output ?

?  Also the container is not defined as "presence" in C.3.  Interface Example, but still it has origin whether that is Ok ?

With Regards,
Rohit R Ranade