Re: [netmod] Question on intefaces-state model

Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com> Tue, 13 June 2017 09:24 UTC

To: Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com>, Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>, "Bogaert, Bart (Nokia - BE/Antwerp)" <bart.bogaert@nokia.com>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
From: Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:15:11 +0200
Subject: Re: [netmod] Question on intefaces-state model

On 06/12/2017 08:31 PM, Andy Bierman wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder
> <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de
> <mailto:j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 10:55:20AM +0000, Bogaert, Bart (Nokia -
>     BE/Antwerp) wrote:
>     >
>     > We have a question regarding the statistics container as defined
>     in the
>     > interfaces-state model.  This container defines one mandatory leaf
>     > (discontinuity-time) while all other leafs are optional.  What
>     is the
>     > rationale behind this leaf being mandatory and not an optional
>     field?
>     >
>     > It does not make a lot of sense to return a discontinuity-time
>     value and no
>     > counters if none of the counters are relevant for a specific
>     interface.
>     >
>     > Another alternative could be to add, via a deviation, a when
>     clause to the
>     > container indicating for which ifType(s) the container is (or is
>     not)
>     > present. But that would lead to not supporting the IETF
>     interfaces model to
>     > the full extent.
>     >

The alternative which we use is to not have
/interfaces-state/interface/statistics container for the interfaces
without counters. The container is mandatory=false.

>     The discontinuity-time is relevant for _any_ counter associated with
>     an interface, regardless whether the counter is defined in the
>     interfaces model or elsewhere. I have a hard time to imagine an
>     interface that has zero counters.

There are some though. Optical amplifiers and similar equipment that
does not have counters - the status data is only signal levels.

> The mandatory-stmt is very confusing for config=false nodes.
> Mandatory=true means
> an <rpc-reply> must contain an instance of the mandatory leaf.
>
> Mandatory=false does not mean optional-to-implement although it sure
> looks that way for config=false nodes.  Only if-feature can make a
> node optional to implement.
If we take serial interface with hardware that only has in-octets and
out-octets counters I would expect to only find these two in
/interfaces-state/interface/statistics +  discontinuity-time. Do you say
the rest of the counters must be present (e.g. allways 0) for proper
implementation of ietf-interfaces?

Vladimir