Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang-07

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 22 August 2019 11:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 13:34:49 +0200
To: rwilton@cisco.com
Cc: vladimir@transpacket.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang-07

Hi,

Some comments inline.

"Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <rwilton@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> Thanks for your detailed review.  Sorry for the slow reply, I've been
> away.  I'm also about to be away again for a couple of days.
>
> Please see my comments inline ...
>
> I'll also track these issues to closure on
> https://github.com/netmod-wg/interface-extensions-yang/issues

I agree.

> > 4. Dedicated module (ietf-if-loopback.yang) for the loopback
> > functionality
> > currently in ietf-interfaces-common.yang.
>
> Same answer as for 1. I don't think that we should have too many
> really small modules.

I agree.

> > 10. Introducing config true "forwarding-mode" leaf breaks clients that
> > support e.g. rfc8344 ietf-ip (which has its dedicated forwarding leafs
> > e.g. /ietf-interfaces:interfaces/interface/ietf-ip:ipv4/forwarding )
> > by
> > introducing this new module with a new leaf they know nothing about. I
> > support this leaf as config false. If NETCONF was not transactional a
> > global leaf enabling the forwarding configuration would be a feature.
> > But NETCONF is transactional.
>
> I don't get the relevance of transactions, but it isn't intended to
> break existing clients/YANG modules.
>
> The idea of this leaf is that if it is configured then the system can
> use it to check other constraints.  E.g. to validate that an L2 QoS
> policy isn’t being configured on an L3 interface.  If the leaf isn't
> configured then those constraints are not checked.

Hmm.  Are you saying that this leaf doesn't have any direct effect in
the server?

> > 12. I do not agree we need this text. Normally NETCONF devices should
> > accept transactions to any valid configuration:
> >
> > OLD:
> >     Normally devices will not allow the parent-interface leaf to be
> >     changed after the interfce has been created.  If an implementation
> >     did allow the parent-interface leaf to be changed then it could
> >  cause
> >     all traffic on the affected interface to be dropped.  The affected
> >     leaf is:
> >
> >     o  /if:interfaces/if:interface/parent-interface
> >
> > NEW:
> >     Changing the parent-interface leaf could cause
> >     all traffic on the affected interface to be dropped.
> >     The affected leaf is:
> >
> >     o  /if:interfaces/if:interface/parent-interface
>
> This isn't about transactions so much as valid configuration.
>
> Normally, the name of the sub-interface is tightly bound to the parent
> interface.  E.g. if the parent in "Ethernet0/1" then the sub-interface
> would be "Ethernet0/1.1".  If you tried to change the parent-interface
> leaf of "Ethernet0/1.1" to "Ethernet2/2" then I would expect the
> system to reject that change (because the configuration is invalid not
> because of transactions).

Well, this is already described in section 3.6.  The quoted text is
from Security Considerations.  I agree with Vladimir; I think his
suggested text is better.

> > 14. I propose the in-pkts and out-pkts counters standardized too.
> > https://github.com/YangModels/yang/blob/master/vendor/cisco/xe/1641/ietf-
> > interfaces-ext.yang.
> > And yes someone forgot to update the boilerplate text.
>
> This one I think that we need to get further input on.
>
> https://github.com/YangModels/yang/blob/master/standard/ieee/published/802.3/ieee802-ethernet-interface.yang
>
> defines in-frames and out-frames, but these are only for Ethernet, but
> you are probably looking for a counter across all interface types.

in-pkts is presumably in-unicast-pkts + in-broadcast-pkts +
in-multicast-pkts.  So is this really needed?

> > 19. ietf-if-common.yang and ietf-if-ethernet-like.yang instead of
> > ietf-
> > interfaces-common.yang and ietf-interfaces-ethernet-like.yang.
> > Setting a shorter naming precedent for future modules augmenting ietf-
> > interfaces.
>
> I'm not opposed to shorter names, but would be interested in the views
> of others in the WG.

I had a similar concern for the modules in the sub-intf-vlan draft (I
will post my review of that doc later).

Currently we have:

  ietf-interfaces-common
  ietf-interfaces-ethernet-like
  ietf-if-l3-vlan
  ietf-flexible-encapsulation

I think we should have consistency, either:

  ietf-interfaces-common
  ietf-interfaces-ethernet-like
  ietf-interfaces-l3-vlan
  ietf-interfaces-flexible-encapsulation