Re: [netmod] [CCAMP] 802.3 Ethernet YANG (802.3cp) and IETF overlap

"Zhuangyan (Yan)" <zhuangyan.zhuang@huawei.com> Fri, 24 March 2017 01:28 UTC

From: "Zhuangyan (Yan)" <zhuangyan.zhuang@huawei.com>
To: Robert Wilton <rwilton@cisco.com>, Fatai Zhang <zhangfatai@huawei.com>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 01:27:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.135.170.230]
Subject: Re: [netmod] [CCAMP] 802.3 Ethernet YANG (802.3cp) and IETF overlap

The main point is that 802.3 defines PHY specs for Ethernet devices along with managed objects (which can be considered as management interface) to manage those phys by setting/reading registers.
Even 802.3 now agrees to add extra attributes from MIB but beyond Clause 30, those attributes are still needed to be supported by 802.3 hardware….

For the management of these devices, 802.3 will provide management interfaces according to the capability of their defined PHYs.  Previously, in form of MIBs, now in form of YANG modules.
But for the system level management, we think IETF is a more appropriate place to discuss since 802.3 is not expert in this.

For the Ethernet interface, as discussed, the system related or generic management are suggested to be included in Robert’s intf-ext-yang module.
For the PoE part, the power system management (including the power source and the poe port priority) is a system level management and would like to hear IETF’s thoughts on this as well.

Thank you for your comments.

Best Regards,

Yan