Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-yang-data-ext version 4

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Wed, 02 October 2019 04:31 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>, NETMOD Working Group <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 04:31:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.99.11]
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-yang-data-ext version 4

Hi, Auhors:
I have read the latest version and have the following comments:

1.       Try to understand the difference between anydata and YANG data structure extension? Is YANG data structure extension targeted to specify the format which can not be represented by anydata?

When will we use anydata? When will we use YANG data structure extension, would this be clarified in the introduction section.

2.        Why is YANG data structure extension not part of RFC7950 or RFC7950bis? It seems two top level YANG statements are introduced in this draft.

3.       In the introduction section, when we say there is no assumption that a YANG data structure can only be used as a top-level

   abstraction, instead of nested within some other data structure. I am wondering what other data structure looks like? Is other data structure specified by YANG data structure defined in this draft or data structure defined by anydata?

If the example is A.5, please add reference to Appendix A.5 in the introduction section.

4.       When we say YANG data structure extension is only valid as a top-level statement, does this conflict with YANG data structure can be nested within some other data structure?

5.       Why augment-structure is also only valid as a top-level statement, why augment-structure is not substatement of YANG data structure? Can we use augment-structure with other data structure instead of YANG data structure defined in this document?

6.       In A.5, how error-code is hooked into rpc-error? Why not use augment-structure in this case? Describe path statement to indicate the relationship with rpc error?

-Qin