Re: [netmod] New Version Notification for draft-ding-netmod-arp-yang-model-00.txt

Alex Campbell <Alex.Campbell@Aviatnet.com> Thu, 26 October 2017 22:30 UTC

From: Alex Campbell <Alex.Campbell@Aviatnet.com>
To: "dingxiaojian (A)" <dingxiaojian1@huawei.com>, "i-d-announce@ietf.org" <i-d-announce@ietf.org>
CC: "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 22:29:59 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.15.6.10]
Subject: Re: [netmod] New Version Notification for draft-ding-netmod-arp-yang-model-00.txt

Hi Xiaojian,

* The published module ietf-ip (RFC 7277) overlaps the data being provided in this module.
  Especially your /arp/arp-tables and /arp/arp-static-tables seem to correspond to /interfaces-state/interface/ipv4/neighbor and /interfaces/interface/ipv4/neighbor from ietf-ip.
  I think we should avoid duplication of data where possible; can you refactor this module to augment what is already there?

* Data relating to a specific interface should be inside /interfaces/interface (and -state) (ietf-interfaces, RFC 7223) where it is possible and relevant.
  I don't see any reason to have a completely separate list with a leafref as a key, when you could use 'augment' to have the data as part of the interface itself.

* ARP as a feature is not dependent on VRFs, but implementing this module requires the server to also implement ietf-network-instances.
  If the ARP-related data was under /interfaces(-state) then this draft wouldn't need to rely on ietf-network-instances.
  The network-instances draft already takes care of making sure each VRF has a separate list of interfaces.

Alex