Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang-07

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 26 August 2019 07:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 09:04:08 +0200
To: rwilton@cisco.com
Cc: vladimir@transpacket.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang-07

"Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <rwilton@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Please see comments inline ...

Neither do I.

> > > , but it isn't intended to
> > > break existing clients/YANG modules.
> > >
> > > The idea of this leaf is that if it is configured then the system can
> > > use it to check other constraints.  E.g. to validate that an L2 QoS
> > > policy isn’t being configured on an L3 interface.  If the leaf isn't
> > > configured then those constraints are not checked.
> >
> > Hmm.  Are you saying that this leaf doesn't have any direct effect in
> > the
> > server?
>
> It depends on the device.  Some devices require a leaf like this (or
> similar) to correctly provision the services.  Other devices don't
> need it.

Hmm, is this really a property of the device implementation?  Isn't it
a property of the data models that describe these services?

It seems to me that the semantics of this leaf is a bit unclear,
esp. if we look at the sub-intf-vlan model which uses this leaf:

    container dot1q-vlan {
      must
        'count(../../if-cmn:forwarding-mode) = 0 or ' +
        'derived-from-or-self(../../if-cmn:forwarding-mode,' +
                              '"if-cmn:layer-3-forwarding")'

This means that it is perfectly ok for a client to configure
"dot1q-vlan" without also setting forwarding-mode.

> > > I'm not opposed to shorter names, but would be interested in the views
> > > of others in the WG.
> >
> > I had a similar concern for the modules in the sub-intf-vlan draft (I
> > will
> > post my review of that doc later).
> >
> > Currently we have:
> >
> >   ietf-interfaces-common
> >   ietf-interfaces-ethernet-like
> >   ietf-if-l3-vlan
> >   ietf-flexible-encapsulation
> >
> > I think we should have consistency, either:
> >
> >   ietf-interfaces-common
> >   ietf-interfaces-ethernet-like
> >   ietf-interfaces-l3-vlan
> >   ietf-interfaces-flexible-encapsulation