Re: [netmod] choice/case in tree diagrams

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 06 March 2018 12:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 13:10:26 +0100
To: lberger@labn.net
Cc: vladimir@transpacket.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] choice/case in tree diagrams

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> wrote:
> Martin,
>

> On March 6, 2018 4:44:47 AM Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After thinking some more about this, realizing that this document is
> > in AUTH48, and looking at the first sentence in the Abstract:
> >
> >    This document captures the current syntax used in YANG module tree
> >    diagrams.
> >
> > I have reached the conclusion that we probably shouldn't make any
> > drastic changes.
> >

> I agree.
>
> > The current syntax, with flags for choice but not for case, may look a
> > bit odd, but it does follow RFC 7950 where a choice node can have a
> > config property, but case cannot.  Also, this syntax has now been used
> > for several years w/o causing much confusion.
> >
> > I suggest the following changes to this document:
> >
> > OLD:
> >
> >        <flags> is one of:
> >          rw  for configuration data
> >          ro  for non-configuration data, output parameters to rpcs
> >              and actions, and notification parameters
> >          -w  for input parameters to rpcs and actions
> >          -u  for uses of a grouping
> >          -x  for rpcs and actions
> >          -n  for notifications
> >          mp  for nodes containing a "mount-point" extension statement
> >
> > NEW:
> >
> >        <flags> is one of:
> >          rw  for configuration data
> >          ro  for non-configuration data, output parameters to rpcs
> >              and actions, and notification parameters
> >          -w  for input parameters to rpcs and actions
> >          -u  for uses of a grouping
> >          -x  for rpcs and actions
> >          -n  for notifications
> >          mp  for nodes containing a "mount-point" extension statement
> >
> >          case nodes do not have any <flags>.
> >

> > Then, since the syntax requires whitespace before <name>:
> >
> I think we should match current tooling/practice here as well. Can you
> confirm how pyang works today?
>
> My memory is no such space is added.

This is correct.

> If my memory is correct, my
> preference is to change the text rather then the tooling.

Maybe we can simply do:

OLD:

    <name> is the name of the node
      (<name>) means that the node is a choice node
     :(<name>) means that the node is a case node

      If the node is augmented into the tree from another module,
      prefix defined in the module where the node is defined.

NEW:

    <name> is the name of the node
      (<name>) means that the node is a choice node
     :(<name>) means that the node is a case node

      If the node is augmented into the tree from another module,
      prefix defined in the module where the node is defined.

      If the node is a case node, there is no space before the
      <name>.

/martin