Re: [netmod] rfc6991bis: yang:longitude, yang:latitude, yang:postal-code, yang:country-code

Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org> Fri, 31 July 2020 08:34 UTC

From: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 04:34:17 -0400
Cc: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>, Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>, "netmod-chairs@ietf.org" <netmod-chairs@ietf.org>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] rfc6991bis: yang:longitude, yang:latitude, yang:postal-code, yang:country-code

The point of the grouping is to not cut corners, and that it was vetted by experts in the field. Just re-using some typedefs of lat/long/height is not sufficient. You must also talk about the reference system which defines the meaning of those values, and know what you are talking about. It matters. Providing typedef's would suggest that it was OK to just re-use those values alone, when in fact it is not. If you read through the document you will see comparisons to other geographic location specifications. None of them just define "lat/long" as decimal degrees and call it done, as that is not sufficient.

Why shouldn't the grouping be used as is here? Nothing says that the software has to support every possible variation of data. Yes, the grouping allows specifying many types of coordinates (e.g., on the Moon), but that does not mean that the software that uses the grouping has to actually support those inputs.

In fact, If you look at the case we are talking about here, there's not only no reason to be limiting the geo-location, it's literally the use-case that drove me to create the grouping and its generality (i.e., locating network elements for a telecom and its management system).

Thanks,
Chris.