Re: [netmod] artwork folding: dual support modes?

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 04 March 2019 11:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 12:49:12 +0100
To: rwilton@cisco.com
Cc: adrian@olddog.co.uk, joelja@bogus.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] artwork folding: dual support modes?

"Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <rwilton@cisco.com> wrote:
> But this behaviour is still different from the frequently used meaning
> of ‘\’ today in programming languages, which as I know it just splits
> lines and preserves whitespace.

Right, but we're not doing a programming language, we try to fit long
lines in examples into the format required by RFCs, including
indentation.  For example, suppose you have:

  Here's an example:

  foo bar baz \
  buzz

Unfolded, do you think this is:

  foo bar baz buzz

or

  foo bar baz    buzz

> YANG requires a separator character between a keyword and its
> argument.  What happens if the tool happens to split the line between
> the two of them.
>

> E.g
>
>                        container\
>
>   test
>

> After the artwork folding, this would become
>
>                        containertest
>

> This could be mitigated by a smarter folding tool (e.g. split before
> the ‘r’ or after the first space).

1.  Don't use a tool to add line breaks - remember the goal was to
    have a readable example.

2.  Don't use this alg. for YANG modules, since YANG has builtin /
    native support for splitting long lines.

> Or, what if the tool was being used to fold a table that was using
> whitespace to align the columns.  This could easily break if
> whitespace is stripped.

Don't use this alg for tables (or ascii art in general) -- it won't
help readers.

/martin