Re: [netmod] rfc7223bis (interfaces) enabled leaf vs SNMP admin-state

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 26 October 2017 18:50 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 20:50:53 +0200
To: jason.sterne@nokia.com
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] rfc7223bis (interfaces) enabled leaf vs SNMP admin-state

"Sterne, Jason (Nokia - CA/Ottawa)" <jason.sterne@nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The issue I'm raising isn't new to the 'bis' version of RFC7223, but
> I'm questioning whether we should consider changing something about it
> while we're in there.
>
> The 'enabled' leaf has this in the description:
>
>              Changes in this leaf in the intended configuration are
>              reflected in ifAdminStatus, but if ifAdminStatus is
>              changed over SNMP, this leaf is not affected.
>
> As an example of "working code", Nokia's SR OS has supported full
> router configuration via SNMP for many years.  When someone enables an
> interface via CLI, that is reflected in ifAdminStatus and vice-versa.
> i.e. configuration via two different interfaces (SNMP & CLI) that use
> different data models, map rw leafs from the two interfaces/models to
> the same underlying internal object.
>
> In general, many SNMP rw objects will map to the same underlying
> internal rw object as the equivalent rw leaf in a YANG model (for
> products that actually support config management via SNMP as well as
> NETCONF).  Changing the leaf/object via SNMP affects the equivalent
> leaf/object in NETCONF.  Why make this one a special case ?

Note how ifAdminStatus is defined:

            "The desired state of the interface.  The testing(3) state
            indicates that no operational packets can be passed.  When a
            managed system initializes, all interfaces start with
            ifAdminStatus in the down(2) state.  As a result of either
            explicit management action or per configuration information
            retained by the managed system, ifAdminStatus is then
            changed to either the up(1) or testing(3) states (or remains
            in the down(2) state)."

Note the *per configuration information*.  It is clear that
ifAdminStatus is not the same as the "per configuration information".
The config object can affect ifAdminStatus.  "enabled" in the YANG
model is supposed to be that config object that can affect
ifAdminStatus.

/martin