Re: [netmod] IANA registries and YANG

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Wed, 18 December 2019 07:30 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: netmod@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 08:29:58 +0100
Subject: Re: [netmod] IANA registries and YANG

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to discuss the issue of developing YANG modules that mirror IANA registries. The main objection, raised in DNSOP WG in relation to draft-lhotka-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-02, was that the RFC containing the initial revision of the module doesn't get updated along with the IANA registry (IANA is expected to keep the module in sync without updating the RFC). As a result implementors can use the obsolete snapshot from the RFC.
>
> I am aware of three solution proposals:
>
> 1. use some kind of template instead of a YANG module

Followup: template turned out to be the right buzzword! Instead of the initial revision of a YANG module, it is possible to include an XSLT stylesheet and instruct IANA to use it for generating the initial revision of the module directly from the XML version of the registry. I used this approach in

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-00

Could this be a recommended way for converting other IANA registries?

Lada