Re: [netmod] Last Call: <draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-09.txt> (Network Management Datastore Architecture) to Proposed Standard two

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 09 January 2018 20:08 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 21:08:24 +0100
To: daedulus@btconnect.com
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, netmod-chairs@ietf.org, bclaise@cisco.com, draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores@ietf.org, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] Last Call: <draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-09.txt> (Network Management Datastore Architecture) to Proposed Standard two

Hi Tom,

"tom p." <daedulus@btconnect.com> wrote:
> Much of this I-D is about the idea that network management data objects
> can often take two different values.  The I-D always refers to this as
> being two values but is that a limit that this architecture imposes; or
> can it be more?

The I-D talks about two instantiations in the Objectives section, when
the original "config vs oper values" problem is explained, and how
NMDA solves the problem.

But the archtecture allows for any number of instantiations; it all
depends on which datastores a particular server implements.  For
example, a config node might have one value in <candidate>, a
different in <running> and yet a different value in <startup>.  This
is not new to this document.

> The later diagrams show  three datastores, <running>,
> <intended> and <operational>.  Since "<intended> MAY also be updated
> independently of <running> ", can there be three values?  And since the
> architecture says that other conventional configuration datastores may
> be defined in future, can there be any number more values?  I think this
> is a significant issue when set against the objectives, of exposing to
> the user
> what values there are in a server; the I-D is clear that there is one
> schema, but I
> am less certain about its insistence on two values.
>
> In a sense, there is a datastore, perhaps more than one, missing.  The
> focus has been on configuration-related datastores and is now widening
> to put other object values into datastores.  Yet the values learnt
> from hardware, protocols and such like will only be in a datastore if
> that value is used and so is in <operational>.  If a user-configured
> value is the one put into <operational>, then values learnt by other
> means will not
> appear AFAICT.  For completeness, there should be a datastore for values
> learnt from the hardware, from protocols and so on.  (In fact, doing the
> sort of
> thing that routing protocols, which learn different routes to the same
> destination via different means, have been doing for years:-)

The architecture defined in this I-D defines a set of datastores, but
it also allows for new datastores defined in the future.  If a
datastore with "unused" values is needed, such a datastore can be
defined later.

/martin