Re: [netmod] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7950 (5157)

Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com> Tue, 24 October 2017 12:27 UTC

To: Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com>
From: Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com>
Cc: "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 14:27:13 +0200
Subject: Re: [netmod] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7950 (5157)

On 10/24/2017 03:42 AM, Andy Bierman wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 4:57 AM, Vladimir Vassilev
> <vladimir@transpacket.com <mailto:vladimir@transpacket.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/23/2017 01:35 PM, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
>
>         Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com
>         <mailto:vladimir@transpacket.com>> wrote:
>
>             Hello,
>
>             I would like to use the occasion of this Errata report to
>             point out
>             some additional issues with the instance-identifier type
>             definition.
>
>             IMO the instance-identifier built-in type has 2 additional
>             problems
>             that can be addressed with alternative and significantly
>             more radical
>             errata or fixed in a new version of YANG.:
>
>             Problem 1: The obvious limitation inherited from Xpath 1.0
>             - inability
>             to escape single or double quote characters. In Xpath
>             world this
>             limitation is worked around by use of concat() which is
>             not available
>             in the YANG 1.1 instance-identifier definition. 2 examples
>             of this
>             limitation:
>
>             1. It is impossible to create value of type
>             instance-identifier
>             referencing nodes in lists with key string values
>             containing both a
>             single and a double quote characters e.g.
>             ...<interface><name>"It's
>             valid string!"</name></interface>.
>
>             2. Another example of the same problem would be a leaf of type
>             instance-identifier referencing another leaf of type
>             instance-identifier. With 2 references it works provided
>             one is
>             encoded with single quotes and the other with double but it is
>             impossible to create third e.g.
>
>             YANG:
>
>                  list id-list {
>                    key "id";
>
>                    leaf id {
>                        type instance-identifier;
>                    }
>                  }
>

> Although the instance-identifier is problematic, it is rarely used at all,
> let alone using it as a list key.
It is used as a key in ietf-alarms /alarms/alarm-list/alarm.

> The XPath mixed-quotes problem is well-known, and the suggested
> solution seems to be use the "concat" function
>
>    /foo/bar[name=concat("It's a", ' "valiid" string')]
>
> Not very user friendly, is it?
I think people naming their interfaces "It's a valid string!" can take
it. Prettier escaping solutions are available e.g. C string but it will
require more work then a line in the next YANG version RFC. IMO solution
is needed either concat or an alternative one.

Practical reason: YANG 1.1 can not create instance-identifier to the
alarm /alarms/alarm-list/alarm[...
resource="/interfaces/interface[name='eth0']"]. And this is not the
"That's a valid string!" named interface. The "That's a valid string!"
interface alarms can not be reported as a valid ietf-alarms
instance-identifier based resource alarm at all.

>             * /top/id-list[id="/top/list[idx='4']"]
>
>             * /top/id-list[id="/top/id-list[idx='/top/list[idx=4]'"]
>             <assuming the
>             * proposed errata is also in effect>
>
>             * <next reference not possible with YANG 1.1>
>
>             Problem 2: The instance-identifier type lacks canonical
>             form (which
>             makes it the only data type with implementation dependent
>             representation at the data level ... think of the integer
>             types
>             allowing optional spaces between the digits). This is in
>             fact the only
>             built-in data type that allows the server implementation
>             to change the
>             configuration data replacing double quotes with single or
>             the other
>             way around. Inserting white spaces where you did not have
>             them when
>             the configuration was submitted. You can not simply read a
>             configuration and use fast data comparison without schema
>             support just
>             because of this type. This is useless flexibility for
>             simple data
>             type.
>
>             And this can be fixed if:
>
>             1. white spaces in instance-identifiers are prohibited
>

>             2. list key predicates are required in alphabetical order
>
>         Or perhaps use the order the keys are defined in the data
>         model (the
>         "keys" statement").
>
>     This is an option but then the e.g. xpath2instid() function
>     implementations will need schema support.
>

> All the YANG tools I have seen generate the predicates in YANG key order.
Yes.

If Xpath came with a canonical form definition (prohibiting spaces,
redundant duplication of namespace prefixes in children, order of
predicates, canonical quotation rule, and some flexibility as of the
node prefix semantics) we would not need to have this discussion. Seems
no other modeling language of hierarchical data has reusable
instance-identifier datatype with the necessary properties and I can see
this as something that can go in separate RFC specifying generic data
type making canonic definition from Xpath that YANG can reuse. In that
case the alphabetic order makes sense moving some constraints into the
generic definition of the type one can validate without the context
schema but it is not of significant importance.

> The issue of canonical instance-identifier has been discussed many times,
> and it is not possible to require the usage of specific prefixes in XML.
> (Note that Lada fixed this for JSON in RFC 7951)
Yes.

> Only the string + expanded names can be properly compared in XML, not
> the literal string
> representing the XPath expression.
Yes.

I do not see the need of major rework just making the Xpath subset rules
stricter with canonical requirement and either allowing concat() (also
with canonic rule producing predictable result e.g. to be used only for
escaping single quotes and prohibiting double quotes in predicates
otherwise). Even with RFC7951 prefix rules added in the
instance-identifier can still be a valid Xpath subset requiring trivial
prefix replacements so that it can be used with non-YANG aware XML tools
keeping that option open.

Vladimir