Re: [netmod] WGLC - draft-ietf-netmod-yang-tree-diagrams

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 16 January 2018 10:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 11:56:06 +0100
To: vladimir@transpacket.com
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] WGLC - draft-ietf-netmod-yang-tree-diagrams

Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have reviewed and implemented (apart from schema mount specific
> functionality) draft-ietfetf-netmod-yang-tree-diagrams-04 and found
> the following issues:
>
> ==sec 2.6.  Node Representation==
>
> 1. To correctly reflect the current pyang output one needs to add '--'
> between <status> and <flags>.
> OLD:
> NEW:

Ok.

> There is also undocumented alignment space count function before
> <type> that pyang uses to align the <type> fields of child data leafs
> with common ancestor. If this is specified in the draft the tree
> output can be deterministic and for me this is an advantage. This is
> currently one of the few underspecified pieces of the tree format so I
> had to check pyang implementation in oder to generate same alignment
> space counts and binary identical tree output results.

I think that we at least should write that there may be more than one
space between <opts> and <type>:

  There may be any number of additional space characters between
  <opts> and <type>.

I also just realized that we need to add text to the line wrapping
section about line breaks between <type> and <if-feature>:

OLD:

   Internet Drafts and RFCs limit the number of characters that may in a
   line of text to 72 characters.  When the tree representation of a
   node results in line being longer than this limit the line should be
   broken between <opts> and <type>.  The type should be indented so
   that the new line starts below <name> with a white space offset of at
   least two characters.

NEW:

   Internet Drafts and RFCs limit the number of characters in a line
   of text to 72 characters.  When the tree representation of a node
   results in line being longer than this limit the line should be
   <if-feature>.  The new line should be indented so that it starts
   below <name> with a white space offset of at least two characters.

> 2. It is unclear which <flags> option should be used for rpc and
> action input/output and child nodes and the notification child
> nodes. pyang uses '-w' for input and input/* and 'ro' for output and
> output/*:
>
>     module: ietf-netconf-partial-lock
>       rpcs:
>         +---x partial-lock
>         |  +---w input
>         |  |  +---w select*   string

I'll do:

OLD:

       <flags> is one of:
         rw  for configuration data
         ro  for non-configuration data
         -u  for uses of a grouping
         -x  for rpcs and actions
         -n  for notifications
         mp  for nodes containing a "mount-point" extension statment

NEW:

       <flags> is one of:
         rw  for configuration data
         ro  for non-configuration data, output parameters to rpcs
             and actions, and notification parameters
         -w  for input parameters to rpcs and actions
         -u  for uses of a grouping
         -x  for rpcs and actions
         -n  for notifications
         mp  for nodes containing a "mount-point" extension statment

> pyang also uses '--' as <flags> for augmentation data nodes for
> actions input.

I think that this is a bug in pyang, which I have now fixed.

>       augment
> /rt:routing-state/rt:ribs/rt:rib/rt:active-route/rt:input:
>         +---- destination-address?   inet:ipv4-address
>

> 3. pyang is prefixing choice node names with the parent <flags>
> e.g. +--ro (next-hop-options) while case nodes are not prefixed. I
> guess this is a bug in pyang since it is not specified in the draft
> but choice nodes prefixed with parent <flags> are  also present in the
> sec 4 and 4.1 examples?

[ignoring based on latest email from Vladimir]

> 4. This bit I found confusing. I propose this change to unambiguously
> describe the current pyang format.
>
> OLD:
>          *  for a leaf-list or list
>          [<keys>] for a list's keys
> NEW:
>          *  for a leaf-list or list without keys
>          * [<keys>] for a list with keys

Hmm, wouldn't it be better to use [] for a list w/o keys?

/martin