Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang-07

Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com> Sat, 10 August 2019 14:23 UTC

To: "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <rwilton@cisco.com>, "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee@cisco.com>, Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@watsen.net>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
From: Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 16:23:53 +0200
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang-07

On 07/08/2019 16.14, Rob Wilton (rwilton) wrote:
> Hi Acee,
>
> Thanks.  This was also discussed in the NETMOD WG meeting (I know that you had a conflict).
>
> My reading of the consensus in the room was that the histogram statistics should be deferred at this time.  In particular, it seems like it would take some time/effort to agree on exactly how these counters should be modelled.  I also said that I would contact the IEEE 802.3 WG chair to see if we could progress a histogram model within the IETF.  I have sent an email out, but not heard anything back yet.
>
> There was consensus in the room to add a sub-interface demux drop counter into the current module.
>
> Lou also proposed that I rename "l2-mtu" to something like "max-frame-size" for consistency (I need to check the recording).
I think avoiding the MTU confusion was the correct decision. The MTU
definition from RFC791 is consistently used in all RFCs known to me.

In addition to renaming the leaf there is contradiction between the
description and range statements in draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang-07:

<CODE BEGINS>

      leaf l2-mtu {
        if-feature "configurable-l2-mtu";
        type uint16 {
          range "64 .. 65535";
        }
        description
          "The maximum size of layer 2 frames that may be transmitted
           or received on the interface (excluding any FCS overhead).
           In the case of Ethernet interfaces it also excludes the
           4-8 byte overhead of any known (i.e. explicitly matched by
           a child sub-interface) 802.1Q VLAN tags.";
        reference "RFC XXX, Section 3.5 Layer 2 MTU";
      }

<CODE ENDS>

Obviously minimum Ethernet frame is 64 bytes when FCS bytes are
included. I also do not think there is consensus that 4-8 bytes should
be subtracted if there are sub-interfaces with VLAN encapsulation
configured since this complicates the logic.

IMO There have been too few reviews of this work. I will go through the
draft and the relevant mailing list threads during the weekend and post
my review.

/Vladimir