Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-entity-06

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 11 January 2018 13:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:47:05 +0100
To: bart.bogaert@nokia.com
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] AD review of draft-ietf-netmod-entity-06

Hi,

To summarize this, I think we have three options for the three nodes
'model-name', 'mfg-name', and 'serial-num':

  1.  Do nothing (keep the nodes as config true).

  2.  Make these three nodes config false (fairly simple change).
      (vendors can augment w/ their own config true nodes).

  3.  Add three new nodes for the configured values.

After thinking about this some more, and discussing with Benoit, I
think the best path forward is to do 2, i.e., mark the nodes
'model-name', 'mfg-name', and 'serial-num' as "config false".  As such
they would not be configurable, and thus contain the detected values.
If no value is detected, the node is not present.

Note that 1 or 3 can be done in a future update to this module (or by
a vendor).

/martin