Re: [netmod] Proposal to enhance the YANG tree output

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 14 September 2017 17:50 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 19:50:37 +0200
To: andy@yumaworks.com
Cc: jclarke@cisco.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] Proposal to enhance the YANG tree output

Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Actually I liked the early pyang output that was concise and easy to
> remember.
> The current format gets very cluttered and there are too many little symbols
> to remember them all.

I agree with Andy.  I also did some experiments with printing
enumerations, and they work ok for small enums.  But once you have
more than a handful they do tend to clutter the output.  Even worse so
for trees that go into RFCs (where lines need to be < 70 characters).

Lada is sometimes using a format with even less information, where he
has removed all type information, focusing more on the structure.

/martin