Re: [netmod] WG adoption poll draft-bjorklund-netmod-rfc7227bis-00

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 25 September 2017 09:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:57:45 +0200
To: lhotka@nic.cz
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG adoption poll draft-bjorklund-netmod-rfc7227bis-00

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> wrote:
> Robert Wilton píše v Čt 21. 09. 2017 v 10:38 +0100:

[...]

> > Yes, I agree that this scenario is very likely, but I think that the
> > solution here is just to not mark the leaf as mandatory.
>
> But this makes the schema weaker, and implementors may think it needn't be
> implemented.

Whether the "mandatory" statement is present or not on a node has
nothing to do with what a device must implement.  "mandatory" does not
affect conformance.

As long as we don't have a more elaborate conformance mechanism, all
nodes in a module (modulo if-feature) must be implemented in order to
claim conformance to the module.  This said, there can be cases where
"implement" in reality translates to "never return", b/c the
conditions that would make the device instantiate the node are never
fulfilled.

/martin