Re: [netmod] IANA modules

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Wed, 10 April 2019 14:19 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 16:19:25 +0200
To: lhotka@nic.cz
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] IANA modules

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> wrote:
> Martin Bjorklund píše v St 10. 04. 2019 v 15:15 +0200:
> > Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> wrote:

> > https://www.iana.org/assignments/yang-parameters/iana-if-type@2019-02-08.yang

> > > Hmm, but then it is kept pretty secret:
> > >
> > > - RFC 6020 only specifies the new registry "YANG Module Names" and media
> > types
> > > in IANA Considerations, not this authoritative module repository.
> >
> > RFC 6020 defines the registry.  IANA maintains the registry.  The link
> > above is the link to this registry.  If you go to iana.org and search
> > for "YANG Module Names" this link is the first to be shown.
>
> According to RFC 6020, it is "a registry for YANG module and submodule names".
> Maybe I am ignorant, but I really didn't know that complete modules can also be
> retrieved. Also, it seems that only the most recent revision of the iana-*
> modules is kept there.

Right.  So the relevant RFC is really RFC 7224, which defines the
initial version of iana-if-type, and the rules for when to update it.

Technically, there's a new IANA registry called "iana-if-type YANG
Module", which is found here:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-if-type/iana-if-type.xhtml

The fact that you can download the other YANG modules is a bonus ;-)

/martin