[netmod] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-module-tags-07: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 11 April 2019 13:30 UTC

From: Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-netmod-module-tags@ietf.org, Joel Jaeggli <joelja@gmail.com>, netmod-chairs@ietf.org, netmod@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 06:30:31 -0700
Subject: [netmod] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-netmod-module-tags-07: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netmod-module-tags-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-module-tags/

COMMENT:

(1) Along the same lines of Alissa's DISCUSS, which I support.

§6.1: "For standardized modules new tags MUST be assigned in the IANA registry
defined below, see Section 7.2."  What is a "standardized module"?  It sounds
like a Standards Track document, but (as Alissa pointed out) the registration
policy is only IETF Review.

(2) §7.1: "All YANG module tags SHOULD begin with one of the prefixes in this
registry."  That statement along with the text in §2.4:

   Any tag not starting with the prefix "ietf:", "vendor:" or "user:" is
   reserved for future standardization.  These tag values are not
   invalid, but simply reserved in the context of standardization.

...seem to indicate that a tag with any format can be used.  Is that true?  Is
that the intent?  If so, then it seems to me that vendor/user tags could simply
forgo the standardized prefix.  I guess this is ok...it just makes me wonder
about the need to even define those prefixes.

(3) I'm not sure what, but I think it may be wise to give the would-be DEs for
the new registry in §7.1 some more guidance on the allocation of new prefixes.
The only current guidance is this: "Prefix entries in this registry should be
short strings consisting of lowercase ASCII alpha-numeric characters and a
final ":" character."