Re: [netmod] Call for adoption request of draft-kwatsen-netmod-artwork-folding-04

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 26 June 2018 18:58 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 20:58:07 +0200
To: kwatsen@juniper.net
Cc: bill.wu@huawei.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] Call for adoption request of draft-kwatsen-netmod-artwork-folding-04

Kent Watsen <kwatsen@juniper.net> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> First, I just posted -05 to address the missing artwork:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kwatsen-netmod-artwork-folding-05.

Thanks!

(The exmaples with just a string of '\' are highy confusing.  Unclear
what they try to tell me... probably that the alg is much more
difficult than I originally thought ;-)

> See below for more comments.
>
> Kent // contributor

Hmm, I thought it had variable-length indentation.

> Variable indent introduces significant complexity; at least, it's beyond
> what can be accomplished by a `sed` one-liner, such as in the current
> draft.  A fixed two-space indent is possible (easy), but zero-space
> indent is more common (less surprising) than a fixed indent.

I like the algorithm in the other draft better - it had variable
placement of the line break ("\\n" sequence), and variable
indentation.

Note that your proposed format is just a special case of the format in
the other draft, so you can still use your "one-liner" sed to produce
your result.

> >>   - handle two special case on backslash and space at the end of broken
> >>     line in yang-xml-doc-conventions.
> >>   - propose to use <WRAPPED TEXT BEGIN><WRAPPED TEXT END> to extract
> >>     artwork from I-Ds.
> >
> > The artwork draft proposes only a header, which means that it is not
> > quite clear where the artwork ends.
>
> Interesting point, but I think that artwork-framing is a different problem
> from artwork-folding.  If the goal is to support extracting artwork from
> txt-based RFC scripts, regardless if the artwork is folded or not, then we
> could level-up this draft to that role, while still supporting folding.
>
> If we were to add a footer, maybe something like this:
>
>   ===padding=== End Folding per BCP XX (RFC XXXX) ===padding===
>
> where the "padding" fills in '=' characters until the max-line width is
> reached (same as how the header is done).

Ok.

> >> In the artwork draft, section 5.3, you write:
> >>
> >>   This line is self-describing in
> >>   three ways: use of '\' character, identification of BCP/RFC, and
> >>   identification of what the maximum line length is for the artwork.
> >>
> > I was confused about this maximum line length; it seems you define the
> > maximum line length ot be 53, but that seems too limiting, and indeed
> > in the example in 5.4 the max line length is 69.  (BTW, the example is
> > missing in the draft, as is the shell script in Appendix A).   In any
> > case, I don't see how the header identifies the max line length.
>
> The draft says that the *minimal* header string is 53-characters).  We
> can make it less if needed, but it involves needing to fold the header
> itself, which could become messy.  Thoughts?
>
> Per the line just before the one quoted above, this line is '=' padded
> on both sides until reaching the max value.  Apparently, this isn't
> clear enough in the text, or do you think it's okay now?

The draft says:

  The header is two lines long.

  The first line is the following 53-character string

This is what made me confused.  I now understand that the idea is to pad
with '='.

But if we adopt the algorithm in the other draft, we don't need a
maximum line length like this.

/martin