Re: [netmod] WG adoption poll draft-kwatsen-netmod-artwork-folding-08

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 23 October 2018 14:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 16:27:48 +0200
To: lhotka@nic.cz
Cc: adrian@olddog.co.uk, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG adoption poll draft-kwatsen-netmod-artwork-folding-08

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-10-23 at 14:45 +0100, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 1. I think you miss the point. While example XML/JSON YANG is included in
> > drafts, and while the authors are allowed to produce those drafts as txt
> > files,
> > or while the authors want to achieve pretty-to-read formatting, this work
> > falls
> > into the scope of those authors.
>
> The folding of long lines should be done as the very last (automatic) step
> before the document gets published. Doing it earlier means that the source code
> in this folded form can be (accidentally) further edited, which can lead to
> inconsistencies.

I will use folding e.g. for instance document examples in XML and
JSON.

My plan is to keep the example files with manually added breaks in my
repo, and as part of validation run a script that unfolds the
examples, and then validate the result.  The reason for this is that I
think readbility of the examples is important.

/martin