Re: [netmod] AD review: draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-08

Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com> Thu, 21 December 2017 13:03 UTC

To: Robert Wilton <rwilton@cisco.com>, NETMOD Working Group <netmod@ietf.org>
From: Vladimir Vassilev <vladimir@transpacket.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 14:03:45 +0100
Subject: Re: [netmod] AD review: draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-08

On 12/21/2017 11:34 AM, Robert Wilton wrote:

> Hi Vladimir,
>
> First point of clarification is that this is not about
> running/intended at all.  The contents of running/intended do not
> change in anyway depending on whether hardware is present or absent.
>
> The section is only concerned with how the configuration is applied in
> operational, and basically says that you cannot apply configuration
> for resources that are missing (which seems reasonable).  E.g. I
> cannot configure an IP address on a physical interface that isn't
> there.  Or if the physical interface gets removed then the
> configuration associated with that interface is also removed from
> operational.
>
> Operational isn't validated and data model constraints are allowed to
> be broken (ideally transiently).
I want to focus on this. IMO giving up schema validitiy for any
datastore is unacceptable price. Pre-NMDA devices had full model support
in operational data (all YANG constrains part of the model without
discrimination were enforced). If this is about to change it will
compromise interoperability and a significant portion of the client
implementation workload that can be automated will need to be coded in
hand and tested. Unresolved leafrefs, undefined behaviour of different
implementations removing different configuration nodes in violation of
YANG semantic constraints (which I do not think can be so clearly
separated from the syntactic constraints when one considers types like
leafref, instance-identifier etc.) and the corresponding side effects
based on the server implementators own creativity is eventually going to
create more problems.

1. IMO the only acceptable solution is to have YANG valid operational
datastore at all times. operational like any other datastore MUST be
valid YANG data tree and it has to be a system implementation task to
consider all complications resulting from the removal of the resources
leading to any data transformations. If this is difficult or impossible
other mechanisms to flag missing resources should be used (e.g.
/interfaces/interface/oper-status=not-present) This sounds like a useful
contract providing the value of a standard the alternative does not.

2. Even with the change in 1. I do not see the removal of intended
configuration nodes from operational as a solution worth implementing on
our servers. I do not see a real world plug-and-play scenario that can
be automatically solved without specific additions to the models e.g.
/interfaces/interface/oper-status=not-present is oversimplified solution
but it needs to be extended exactly as much as the solution provided by
the removal of config true; nodes without the sacrifice of YANG validity
of operational.

3. Solutions like /interfaces/interface/admin-state stop working. With
the interface removed you can no longer figure if the if-mib has or does
not have the interface enabled so an operator has to use SNMP or wait
for a replacement line card to be connected to figure this bit of
information. My interpretation of the MAY as requirement level in sec.
5.3. The Operational State Datastore (<operational>) is that
plug-and-play solutions can be implemented without this limited approach
that has the same problem as the pre-NMDA only now we have to have
/interfaces-state to keep config false; data relevant to hardware that
is configured but not present:

    configuration data nodes supported in a configuration datastore
    MAY be omitted from <operational> if a server is not able to
    accurately report them.

I realize this discussion comes late. I have stated my objections to
this particular part of the NMDA draft earlier.

Vladimir