Re: [netmod] RFC8526 and 'derived-from-or-self(datastore, "ds:operational")'

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Thu, 15 August 2019 07:30 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>, jernej.tuljak@mg-soft.si
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 09:30:21 +0200
Subject: Re: [netmod] RFC8526 and 'derived-from-or-self(datastore, "ds:operational")'

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Jernej Tuljak <jernej.tuljak@mg-soft.si> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to determine who is at fault, our YANG validator
>> implementation or the module ietf-netconf-nmda in RFC8526 .
>>
>> There is a "when" expression at line 193 within this module
>>
>> when 'derived-from-or-self(datastore, "ds:operational") ';
>>
>> which is under this pseudo-branch within the module: / get-data
>> ("rpc") / input ("input") / origin-filters ("choice").
>>
>> Our implementation claims that the initial context node of the
>> expression does not contain a "datastore" child, resulting in a
>> warning for this expression, which seemed like an obvious bug at
>> first, but does not anymore.
>>
>> The accessible tree for this expression is built using the following
>> bullet in Section 6.4.1:
>>
>>    o  If the XPath expression is defined in a substatement to an "input"
>>       statement in an "rpc" or "action" statement, the accessible tree
>>       is the RPC or action operation instance, all state data in the
>>       server, and the running configuration datastore.  The root node
>>       has top-level data nodes in all modules as children.
>>       Additionally, for an RPC, the root node also has the node
>>       representing the RPC operation being defined as a child.  The node
>>       representing the operation being defined has the operation's input
>>       parameters as children.
>>

>> "origin-filters" for which the "when" expression is defined is clearly
>> a substatement to an "input" statement in an "rpc" statement. Pseudo-
>> accessible tree below (matches what our implementation does).
>>
>> <root>
>>     +- get-data
>>         +- datastore
>>         +- // other data node siblings of datastore
>>     +- // top-level data nodes of all modules

The rules may be easier to describe if we define schema root nodes (or similar name) as a special category of schema nodes. It makes sense also because all these schema root nodes have a corresponding instance node in the XPath tree - the invisible XPath root, rpc, input, output and notification.

Lada