Re: [netmod] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-23 (until Sep 9, 2016)

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Mon, 05 September 2016 12:47 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Rob Shakir <rjs@rob.sh>, Kent Watsen <kwatsen@juniper.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 14:47:12 +0200
Cc: "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-23 (until Sep 9, 2016)

Rob Shakir <rjs@rob.sh> writes:

> Hi Kent, NETMOD,
>
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Kent Watsen <kwatsen@juniper.net> wrote:
>

>> Please indicate your support or concerns by Thursday September 9, 2016.
>>

>> We are not only interested in receiving defect reports, we are equally
>> interested in statements of the form:
>>

>>   * I have reviewed draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-23 and I found no issues
>>
>>   * I have implemented the data model in draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-23
>>
>>   * I am implementing the data model in draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-23
>>
>>   * I am considering to implement the data model in
>> draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-23
>>

> I'd like to add a new category to this set of statements:
>
>  * I have reviewed this draft, and will *not* be implementing the data
> model described within it.

Fair enough.

> I have concerns with the contents of this model and their suitability as a
> base for the wider set of models that are intended to augment it. Indeed, I
> think the elements that it tackles (e.g., arrangement of protocols within a
> routing instance) are very much lowest common denominator, and none of the
> wider issues around multi-tenancy of routing instances (especially those
> that mix VSI and VRF type semantics) on an individual device, or the way
> that protocols map to RIBs, and how they then interact/interconnect are
> tackled within the model.
>
> Whilst I understand the difficulties that the authors have been through to
> try and find a solution, I'm afraid that consensus here has led to a model
> that actually is operationally a no-op -- even the configuration for static
> routing is not sufficient for most operator use cases that we have examined
> when working on a similar problem space.

Earlier revisions of the draft (such as -16) contained more stuff that
really implemented something (framework for route filters, explicit connection of
routing protocols to RIBs, fancy next-hops). All of them were removed,
mainly because they aren't the lowest common denominator.

Nonetheless, I don't think that what remains is a no-op. The core
routing model does define a framework in which multiple instances of
routing protocols can coexist. And it also implements an approach to
configuration versus state data analogical to RFC 7223 (which you
probably don't like).

As for static routing, I believe it perfectly suffices for hosts and
simpler router configurations. As a proof of concept, I myself wrote
XSLT stylesheets that were able to convert this data to CLI
configurations for Cisco IOS and BIRD routing daemon. It may not be
sufficient for all use cases, but then nothing prevents you or anybody
else from developing a data model for a new "static-on-steroids"
protocol, and fit it into the core routing model.

Lada