Re: [Netslices] Summary of Open Issues

"qiangli (D)" <qiangli3@huawei.com> Tue, 02 January 2018 03:06 UTC

From: "qiangli (D)" <qiangli3@huawei.com>
To: Xavier de Foy <x.defoy.ietf@gmail.com>
CC: "NetSlices@ietf.org" <NetSlices@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 03:04:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.130.163.138]
Subject: Re: [Netslices] Summary of Open Issues

Hi Xavier,

Sorry for the late response just back from vacation. I have checked some materials and hope the following figure and text could answer your question.

[cid:image001.png@01D383B3.43545020]

l  (Customer) Service Model describes a service as offered or delivered to a customer by a network operator [https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained/>/<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained/>]

l  Service Delivery Model is used by a network operator to define and manage how a service is engineered in the network [https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained/>/<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained/>]

l  Information Model is an abstraction and representation of the entities in a  managed environment, their properties, attributes and operations, and the way that they relate to each other [https<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3444>://<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3444>tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3444<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3444>]

l  Data model is defined at a lower level of abstraction and include many details, include implementation and protocol specific constructs. There is a gray area where information models and data models overlap. The data model could be further divided into network configuration model and device configuration model [https://<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3198>tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3198<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3198>]

l  Network Configuration Model is used by a network orchestrator to instruct controllers (that may each be responsible for multiple network elements) how to configure parts of a network [https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained/>/<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained/>]

l  Device Configuration Model is used by a controller to set parameters on an individual network element [https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained/>/<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained/>]

The above figure illustrates how these models are used to initialize a network slice service request,  the service delivery model is really similar to the northbound interface at this time. However apart from the request initialization process, northbound interface has a broader meaning in such as capability exposure, monitoring result reporting, SLR/SLA negotiation, multi-domain cooperation, etc. IMHO.

Moreover, you may find there are two “information model” in the figure. I think COMS information model could be corresponded to the network orchestrator information model. As for the controller information model, a simple example would be ACTN information model.

Best regards,

Cristina QIANG