Re: [Netslices] Reliability & Availability in NetSling

Pedro Martinez-Julia <pedro@nict.go.jp> Thu, 10 August 2017 04:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 13:42:00 +0900
From: Pedro Martinez-Julia <pedro@nict.go.jp>
To: GENG Liang <liang.geng@hotmail.com>
Cc: "'qiangli (D)'" <qiangli3@huawei.com>, "netslices@ietf.org" <netslices@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Netslices] Reliability & Availability in NetSling

Dear all,

I personally think it is better to use the industrial definitions but,
being purist, we can find important differences between them. While
availability is the probability for a system to work as expected in some
period of time (99.999% of time), reliability is a broader term that
refers to the different situations in which a system will be able to
overcome without breaking. In some cases, the latter can incorporate the
former, but not in all of them.

For network slicing we can keep the definition commonly used by industry
with the necessary details to make clear the aspects that differentiate
them. I would keep "working as expected for some period of time" related
to availability and "resistant to disparate situations" to reliability.

Regards,
Pedro