Re: [newprep] wg/newprep project: clarification asked

jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com> Fri, 21 May 2010 23:01 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 17:21:42 +0200
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>, newprep@ietf.org
From: jefsey <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [newprep] wg/newprep project: clarification asked

At 19:01 20/05/2010, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:35:44PM +0200, JFC Morfin wrote:
> > My question is therefore:
> >
> > -          "a need is identified by our Internet user contributing
> > party. This need is for a stable, unique, comprehensive manner to
> > orthotypographically format prepared strings whatever the script and
> > language. Such a format must prevent phishing and support a single
> > registry indexing and sorting order of every possible orthotypographic
> > string, throughout the Internet protocols, related applications, and
> > interoperated technologies.
> > -          Is this or is this not also an immediate or ultimate goal for
> > the AD, WG Chair, and WG/newprep possible participants?"
>
>I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think it's my goal (because
>I don't believe it to be realistic).

Dear Andrew,

>In particular, any plan that
>contains as a stated goal "prevent phishing" is IMO just a plan to
>tilt at windmills: con artists have been around at least as long as
>human language, and I don't think we are likely to form a WG that will
>completely prevent their craft.

Preventing is not impeaching. I am quoting a user need and target.
The level of prevention can only result from an international
standard (ISO) consensus. The technical side is not, IMHO, to decide
of what phishing prevention requires, but to technically support the
requirements from concerned parties, ranging from linguists to banks,
Govs, etc.

>Moreover, universal quantification in
>the face of the possibility operator has at best difficult semantics,
>and I'm therefore not at all sure I understand what "every possible
>orthotypographic string" would be.

Definition is with grammarians, semantitians and terminologists. Our
job is to provide them with tools to support them.

>Stringprep has some practical issues, and my impression is that the
>plan is to try to address those.

What is stringprep the first question, then what are its practical
issues. Either you try to define stringprep from its past variations
and you try to addapt to them. Or you try to define a unique solution
to address stringprep kinds of uses and adapt current stringprep in
using that unique solution. As an Internet User I am more interested
in the latter approach. That is all.

Best.
jfc