Re: [newprep] WG Review: Stringprep after IDNA2008 WG (newprep)

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Wed, 19 May 2010 16:26 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 17:24:39 +0100
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: Mark Lentczner <markl@lindenlab.com>
Cc: ietf-krb-wg@anl.gov, ietf@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, aland@freeradius.org, Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>, newprep@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [newprep] WG Review: Stringprep after IDNA2008 WG (newprep)

Hi Mark,

Mark Lentczner wrote:

>On May 19, 2010, at 6:40 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

 [...]

>>In an email exchange with Marc and Alexey Melnikov last week, I proposed
>>adding ...
>>
>>  Although the group will seek input from and may provide advice to
>>  "customers" working on other technologies, it will prioritize work
>>  on the above-listed stringprep profiles and will take on additional
>>  tasks as official milestones only after rechartering.
>>

>Wait: That seems like a step back from the original charter. That seems to exclude any work on a "stringprepbis"

IMHO, Stringprepbis is already covered by one of the milestones.

>or other generally useful draft. If so, I'm left a bit in the cold.

No, the charter is just saying that if additional work is to be taken,
then the WG need to rechartered. This is mostly to keep the WG focused
on the main tasks. But rechartertering is not difficult, if the WG
decides that it is really needed.

>It seems to me that while the WG should examine the particulars of the stringprep profiles under concern one by one - that wouldn't be the way we'd want to update them. Instead we'd want to either come up with a way to bring stringprep as a concept forward, or replace it with something similar, so that all the profiles under examination would have a consistent treatment in "updating". (Though I admit the likelihood of exceptions.) I don't think this kind of approach should be out of scope from the get go.

Right. This would be my preferred approach as well.
I don't think the proposed charter prevents the approach you suggest.