[nfsv4] Re: Changes in the rfc5661bis effort

Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> Fri, 07 June 2024 15:21 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2024 17:21:31 +0200
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
To: David Noveck <davenoveck@gmail.com>
Subject: [nfsv4] Re: Changes in the rfc5661bis effort

On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 10:10:25AM -0400, David Noveck wrote:
>    - The drafting for most of these (eight out of ten) is done or will be
>    done when rfc5661bis-05 is out in a about a week.
>    - The option of creating a new *OPTIONAL *attribute for ACL feature
>    would let us close out the acl work and complete the bis effort much
>    earlier than we had been expecting.   It  requires we decide to limit our
>    interoperability-enablement efforts in the v4.1 context to the UNIX ACLs
>    subset or something close to it.  I am looking to make that scope decision
>    at IETF120.

If you have incompatible ACL changes, or new optional attributes these
absolutely should not be in a 4.1 document.

> BTW, diffs with RFC881 are not helpful.

Why?

>    3:   Security for all minor versions is being thoroughly respecified
>         in the NFSv4-wide document [I-D.dnoveck-nfsv4-security].  In
>         this discussion, issues related to authorization semantics and
>         to ACLs are being dealt with separately.

We had this discussion at a few face to face meetings, where I voiced
my opinion, but let me restate it here:

- trying to define new features for both 4.0 and 4.1 in the same document
  is a losing proposition.  No one really cares about 4.0, but if you
  find people that actually care about it let them do a separate
  document that makes life for 4.1 implementers harder (and 4.1
  implementers includes 4.2 as that is just a small set of optional
  features)