Re: [nfsv4] Review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5667bis-09

Tom Talpey <tom@talpey.com> Mon, 24 April 2017 11:57 UTC

To: nfsv4@ietf.org
From: Tom Talpey <tom@talpey.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 07:56:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5667bis-09

On 4/21/2017 10:43 AM, Chuck Lever wrote:
> I agree that SHOULD/MAY makes things cloudier, and does not
> seem to align with well-defined RFC2119 usage.
>
> Another way we've dealt with similar disagreements between
> specification and implementation is to decide that one of
> the implementations is incorrect.
>
> Can we agree that:
>
> - GARBAGE_ARGS is a bit of a layering violation, though it's
> understandable why it might be returned
>
> - RPC clients are already prepared for GARBAGE_ARGS

Are you certain of this? And out of curiosity, what is returned
to the consumer for GARBAGE_ARGS versus ERR_CHUNK?

> - In RPC-over-RDMA Version One, we are not trying to recover
> (in the sense of resending a simpler COMPOUND) but are rather
> trying to ensure the offending RPC is properly terminated on
> the client, and does not further block other RPCs or deadlock
> the transport
>
> Thus I claim it is harmless if a server returns GARBAGE_ARGS
> instead of ERR_CHUNK.

"Harmless" is a bit relative. The operation fails, through no fault
of the consumer. And, frankly, in a very mysterious way.

Again, I think there is more to say here. It's a limitation of the
protocol whose implications should be made clear (contraining the
complexity of COMPOUNDs, limiting scatter/gather lengths, etc).

Tom.