Re: [nfsv4] New version of NFSv4 multi-domain access draft (

"Everhart, Craig" <Craig.Everhart@netapp.com> Thu, 07 October 2010 16:18 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:19:54 -0400
thread-topic: [nfsv4] New version of NFSv4 multi-domain access draft (
thread-index: ActgxqNVvnv6J826SZGD3Uu2e/LilgFbRGZQ
From: "Everhart, Craig" <Craig.Everhart@netapp.com>
To: "William A. (Andy) Adamson" <androsadamson@gmail.com>, NFSv4 <nfsv4@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] New version of NFSv4 multi-domain access draft (

Couple of things I wonder about here.

The draft goes to some lengths to claim that an NFS server's use of
"name@domainname" would be problematic because of difficulties keeping
up with accounts ("a severe constraint"), and that servers "really ought
not" store authz entities in that form.  While I don't agree with either
of these, I don't think that my objections are material to the point of
the draft.

Instead, if I'm reading correctly, this is a presentation about how to
do ID mapping with 32-bit or 64-bit IDs, with name service assistance.
I think that the draft could make the point about the prevalence of such
servers without needing to critique other representations.  Perhaps (but
not _required_) the draft could deal with the interoperability of
servers, some of which use integers for IDs and some which use
name@domainname, in the kind of FedFS scenario you describe.

I eagerly await the 5.4.3 text, or even the plans.  What's a "domain" in
this context?  How does a server tell if it is in one?  Does a client
need to know?  What is a "domain-local ID"? In section 5.2.1, what's the
point to "assigning and publishing a unique ID to each DNS domain"?
Isn't the DNS domain name good enough?

Could we add an example to 6.2?  I can't tell if the first paragraph is
a modest hole or a truck-sized hole.

		Craig