Re: [nfsv4] Going forward on I18N in RFC3530 bis

<david.noveck@emc.com> Fri, 10 September 2010 19:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:00:40 -0400
From: david.noveck@emc.com
To: thomas@netapp.com, trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no
Cc: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Going forward on I18N in RFC3530 bis

> I was a bit more quiet on this point than I should
> have been - I think we should be trying to avoid a
> 3530tris unless we can make sure that the delta is
> pretty small.

It's interesting how attitudes can differ.  I think Tom and I have
similar attitudes towards RFC3530tris but neither said much.  Tom
regrets he didn't say more while I was patting myself on the back for
the restraint I showed.

I think the point is that despite the validity of Tom's position, there
isn't much we can do at this point.  There is some speculative set of
changes that precis might make desirable but it might be the null set.
There no way to tell and speculation is a waste of time.  We should do
what we can do now and leave what we can't do now to the future.

> We will not be winning friends with
> the ADs with huge changes.

Granted but if they are required then we will make them.  We have to
decide whether the goal is making friends or properly specifying the
protocol.  If I was concerned with winning friends with the AD's, I
would have left the internationalization chapter pretty much as it was,
pretend that everything was OK, and have some more free time.  So I
realize I made a bad decision but that's life :-)

> If the i18n chapter is the same for 3530, 5661, and
> whatever comes next, perhaps it should be a separate
> document.

Perhaps, but I'd rather we didn't try to make that decision now and
complicate the process.  I believe that as we think about going to
group-last-call for RFC3530-bis, we should decide on whether we want to
split out the internationalization as a separate document that applies
to multiple minor versions.  If we decide to do that, it can be done is
a day or less.

And I really hope Tom is wrong about I18N churn.  We'll see.