[nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 9/16/2010

James Lentini <jlentini@netapp.com> Thu, 16 September 2010 18:45 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:45:51 -0400
From: James Lentini <jlentini@netapp.com>
To: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: [nfsv4] [FedFS] Meeting Minutes, 9/16/2010

FedFS Meeting Minutes, 9/16/2010
--------------------------------

Attendees
---------

Craig Everhart (NetApp)
Sorin Faibish (EMC)
James Lentini (NetApp)
Chuck Lever (Oracle)
Trond Myklebust (NetApp)
Paul LeMahieu (EMC)
Spencer Shepler (Microsoft)

Minutes
-------

+ IETF Note Well Agreement

  This is a reminder that our discussions are governed by the
  IETF Note Well Agreement. See:

    http://www.ietf.org/NOTEWELL.html

  We will start each week's meeting with this announcement.

+ draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-09 published

  Please read through and consider if this is ready for last call.

+ October Bake-a-thon Planning

  Chuck asked if anyone was planning to setup a DNS server with an
  NFS SRV record from draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-dns-srv-namespace?

  Nobody had plans to set one up, but we agreed that it would be
  interesting if there were NFS client implementations to test.

  To test the NFS SRV record, would a special root NFS server be
  necessary? Trond and Craig explained that a special server would
  not be necessary, assuming the NFS client is interpreting the
  DNS SRV record. The NFS server could be an ordinary fileserver
  or one that supports junctions. Either would work for testing
  the NFS SRV record.

  Trond suggested a competition: whoever gets their fileserver up
  first gets to be root.

  We'll coordinate with Sorin to configure a DNS server with an
  SRV record.

  Sorin reported that common bake-a-thon machines are being setup
  this week. He can setup a DNS server and could add an NFS SRV
  record to it.

  Sorin has reserved a room for 30 minute discussions at the
  bake-a-thon. The room will have an overhead projector,
  whiteboards, and a phone for voice conferences.

  Sorin will be sending out an agenda with the talk schedule.

  Chuck requested a session on the Linux FedFS session.
  Sorin said that he would add this session to the list.

  Sorin has installed the pre-release Fedora 14 with development
  packages on the common machines.

+ Admin Draft Update

  James reported that he had begun updating the Admin draft.

  We walked through what has been completed so far, see:

  http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-06.txt
  http://jlentini.users.sourceforge.net/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-admin-rfcdiff.html

  The list of completed items is:
	- Each procedure now lists the errors it is allowed to return

	  This uncovered two issues:

		- In 5.2.1, the description of FEDFS_DELETE_JUNCTION
		  indicated that if the targeted object was not a
		  junction, the error would be FEDFS_ERR_INVAL. In
		  similar situations in other parts of the specification,
		  the error is FEDFS_ERR_NOTJUNCT. The FEDFS_DELETE_JUNCTION
		  specification was corrected to be FEDFS_ERR_NOTJUNCT.

		- The NOTEMPTY and NOTDIR error codes are no longer in
		  use (text that referred to them was removed from
		  FEDFS_CREATE_JUNCTION in the previous revision). We agreed
		  to remove these unused error codes.

 	- An error code (FEDFS_ERR_NSDB_REFERRAL) and text (5.3.1) was added
	  for LDAP referrals.

	- Type names used by both the JUNCTION and REPLICATION functions were
	  renamed for consistency (see CreateJunctionArgs, FedFsLookupArgs,
	  and FedFsLookupRes).

  The list of remaining items is:
	- Add a FEDFS_ERR_DELAY error value
	- Add additional error codes for LDAP referrals
	- Add cache lookup error codes discussed last week
	- Evaluate if RPC FSL structure should contain additional fields (e.g. TTL)
	  from the LDAP fedfsFsl object

  Expect a completed update before our next meeting.

+ Meeting Schedule

  Our next meeting will be on September 30.