Re: [nfsv4] Potential schedules for BakeAThons in 2011

"J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org> Mon, 11 October 2010 15:25 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:26:29 -0400
To: Steve Dickson <SteveD@redhat.com>
From: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org>
Cc: nfsv4@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Potential schedules for BakeAThons in 2011

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 09:17:36AM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
> affordable for us to send one person to CITI and have
> two people participating verses sending two people to Paris
> France, along with equipment...

Understood.

> > We are seeing increased demand to host the event in Europe and it
> > should be feasible to do so once every 2 years. Between 20 - 25% of
> > our participants are based on the other side of the Atlantic. We
> > might also draw in additional testers and we all know once an
> > organization gets a taste of testing, they tend to continue
> > attending.
> So are most of the 20 to 25% based out of Paris? If it was held in
> Paris, what would be percentage of people travelling out of country?
> Meaning would only 75 to 80% would have to travelling out of country
> or would that percentage go up to 90 to 95%? If its the latter I see
> no reason to move it...

Most of the countries in question are more compact than the US, and in
terms of time and money spent, I would have expected the important
distinction to be whether you're crossing the Atlantic or not.  (But
I'll admit I don't know the costs.)

I'd be in favor of an occasional bakeathon in Europe for the reasons Tom
gives, but think we need to take into account details such as the timing
and facilities available.

--b.