Re: [nfsv4] Milestone draft for working group review

Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com> Mon, 21 August 2017 16:09 UTC

From: Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:08:58 -0400
Cc: "nfsv4@ietf.org" <nfsv4@ietf.org>
To: David Noveck <davenoveck@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Milestone draft for working group review

Hi Dave-

> On Aug 21, 2017, at 11:45 AM, David Noveck <davenoveck@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have only very minor quibbles with any of this content, none worth
> > bringing up.
>
> If they are not brought up, then the draft I send to the chairs and ads
> cannot include them.  Please make sure that you make me aware of
> issues that need to be addressed, even if they might seem minor right
> now.

Perhaps I should have said "No objections."

> > I suggested privately, and would like to bring up on the list, that
> > it would also be helpful to have a repository for our "stretch goals"
> > and "almost ready" or "wacky" ideas (thanks Bill Baker for that term).
>
> Those are three different categories.  What I'm thinking about is
> a list of "potential goals", which could include things that might
> become goals if there were a person to take on the work and provide
> a target date.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing it!

> It could also include things that are not quite well-defined
> enough for us to be sure about what document might really be done,
> and ideas of various degrees of "wackiness", although we will try to
> avoid things that the working group thinks are not worth considering.

Our usual criterion for considering "wacky" ideas is a personal
I-D. I'm OK with placing these ideas in a "requires I-D"
category.

> > It could help create an institutional memory, along with the mailing
> > list and IETF meeting notes (hint hint). We obviously have some worthy
> > ideas, as noted by Tom's "Next steps" presentation during IETF 99,
> > even if they aren't completely formed.
>
> I will be producing that list, but it will take a while.  Maybe by the end of
> September.
>
> I have looked at Tom's presentation and there are a number of items that
> could be potential goals, although none is really "wacky".  In some of the
> cases, the presentation isn't clear about what specific things the working group
> might do to further these ideas, but I can consult with Tom and Trond to get the
> necessary clarity.

I'd like to see these items and any clarifications discussed
on-list first, or (preferably) in I-D form. Perhaps that's a
high bar, but the WG deserves a clear problem statement and
explanation of a proposed solution, so that it's members can
evaluate new ideas fairly.

> > Can you post subsequent revisions of the Charter and milestone list
> > only in ASCII text? That also makes it possible to simply hit "Reply"
> > and respond narrowly to individual parts of the text. Thanks!
>
> I'll do that, since the IETF seems to be stuck in the last century.  There
> might somewhere be a plan to bring the IETF into the twenty-first century,
> but, from what I've seen, 2099 might be too aggressive a target date :-(.

It's not just the IETF.

There are some on the list who cannot open a .pptx document.
There are some who refuse to, out of principal. There are
some who are behind corporate firewalls that discard e-mail
attachments as a policy, or that place size restrictions on
in-bound e-mail.

My own interest is archival, but I think we should strive for
inclusiveness.

--
Chuck Lever