Re: [NFVCON] virtualization of network functions makes the management different

Barbara Martini <barbara.martini@cnit.it> Mon, 26 May 2014 12:38 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:38:24 +0200
From: Barbara Martini <barbara.martini@cnit.it>
To: nfvcon@ietf.org, karagian@cs.utwente.nl, "Songhaibin (A)" <haibin.song@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [NFVCON] virtualization of network functions makes the management different

Hi Haibin, Georgios,

I do agree with you. Also, I think that the fact we can have agile
runtime management and disposal of virtual network functions provide the
capability of performing much more effective optimizations while
addressing different management targets. For instance, the virtual
network functions can be initially disposed according to a specified
optimization targets, then easily rearranged based on changing
conditions or modified targets. The optimization targets may be for
example the minimization of used physical server hosting virtual network
functions or, on the contrary, the balancing of used physical servers.

Moreover, the instances of virtual network function can be dynamically
scaled up/down in a agile way in order to assure the required
capabilities while avoiding overprovisioning. Finally, in combination
with software-defined networking the traffic can be dynamically steered
across virtual network functions on per-service basis or even on
per-tenant basis thanks to high level of programmability of network nodes.

Best regards,

Barbara