Re: [NGO] NETCONF Data types

"tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com> Fri, 07 December 2007 20:50 UTC

From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
To: Sharon Chisholm <schishol@nortel.com>
Subject: Re: [NGO] NETCONF Data types
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 15:28:23 +0100
Cc: ngo@ietf.org

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon Chisholm" <schishol@nortel.com>
To: "Andy Bierman" <ietf@andybierman.com>
Cc: <ngo@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:31 PM

My logic is that most of the value in types comes from building up
complex types, not by redefining base types. I don't understand why you
are proposing redefining xs:dateTime to map to what we had in SNMP for
example. I want to make sure we understand the requirements of the space
we are in now and not just auto-translate data types from where we were
a few years ago.

Honestly, I don't know the differences between a counter and a gauge and
I suspect the a lot  of people who read SNMP MIBs who were in the same
boat.

<Tom P>

Just to state the obvious or not obvious, a gauge goes up and down and latches
at its maximum value; a counter goes up, monotic increasing one might say:-),
and wraps from its maximum value back to zero (perhaps generating an alarm).

I think that in management, the distinction is extremely useful.

On the other hand, it does seem a silly little implementation restriction (now
that I am not coding an assembler) to have ..16, ..32 and ..64; BER.1 did it
much better with its any length up to approx 2**127 bits.

So preserve the semantic distinction but avoid the question to which there is
never an answer, how big does this have to be to cope with the anticipated life
of the object.

Tom Petch
</>

Sharon