Re: [NGO] NETCONF Data Modeling BoF (NDM) proposal

Tomoyuki Iijima <tomoyuki.iijima.fg@hitachi.com> Mon, 10 September 2007 05:13 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:13:19 +0900
From: Tomoyuki Iijima <tomoyuki.iijima.fg@hitachi.com>
To: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
Subject: Re: [NGO] NETCONF Data Modeling BoF (NDM) proposal
Cc: NETCONF Goes On <ngo@ietf.org>

Hello,

> On the other hand, I really don't want to wait 5+ years
> for a new DML.  New work like the partial locking and ACM
> are using XSD, and so will all other new DM work.
> I don't see how one can avoid learning XSD, even if a new DML
> is on the horizon.  And what about the free tools for the DML?
> How long will those take to get established?  Will there be any?

I totally agrew with Andy's comments. We talked about XSD's superiority
at the 68th IETF meeting in Prague. The slide related to this issue is
found below.
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/opsarea-6/sld15.htm

In addition, I mentioned following things.
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/opsarea-6/sld5.htm
IMO, since data models written by XML is transformable into another one
thanks to the XML technology including WSDL, rough data modeling is
enough as long as meaning of each parameter inside data model is well
defined.

--
Tomoyuki Iijima
Hitachi, Ltd. Central Research Laboratory