Re: [NGO] NETCONF Data Modeling BoF (NDM) proposal

"tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 12 September 2007 10:57 UTC

From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
To: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
Subject: Re: [NGO] NETCONF Data Modeling BoF (NDM) proposal
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:17:43 +0200
Cc: NETCONF Goes On <ngo@ietf.org>

Uh huh.

Andy,

I agree with you that XML/XSD is the only realistic alternative.  I have
immersed myself in it over the life of NETCONF and the more I learn the less I
like; the fundamentals are plain wrong (IMnotsoHO).

But, like other not quite perfect pieces of technology in the past, it has swept
most before it so I think it the only choice.

That said, I hope that XPath (even more fundamentally unsound I...) might get
improved so I would make XML a must but try to leave wiggle room for a better
select/filter operation.

Also, I think your initial proposal too all embracing and would rather see it
nailed down more precisely - even at this stage - eg flexible conformance is a
right can of worms whereas the more limited base and towers of SMIv2 should be
enough; while I see nothing that relates to tables and think that while SMIv2
gets tables wrong, it is right to nail the topic down.  I would like a closed
list of bullet items, a sentence each, of what will be covered.  We have
lightyears of experience with MIB modules of what it takes to operate and manage
everything under the sun and so should be capable of reverse engineering that
experience into the topic/concept/... list that this new effort needs to
embrace.

Tom Petch