Re: [NGO] A proposed WG Charter for NETMOD: NETCONF Data Modeling

"Bert Wijnen - IETF" <bertietf@bwijnen.net> Wed, 02 April 2008 09:18 UTC

From: Bert Wijnen - IETF <bertietf@bwijnen.net>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, David Partain <david.partain@ericsson.com>, NETCONF Goes On <ngo@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:18:26 +0200
Cc: Ron Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>, Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: [NGO] A proposed WG Charter for NETMOD: NETCONF Data Modeling
Sender: ngo-bounces@ietf.org

OK, let me respond before I leave for a 1 week vacation.
Disclaimer (I was part of the smaller group that did
discuss the initial drafting of the charter).

> - the scope of work

I think this is well scoped.

> - the proposals that have been selected as starting points for NETMOD

Excellent in my view.

> - list of deliverables

Good (module some nits, see below)

> - milestones

They are somewhat agressive. Yet, I prefer to be aggressive so that we
have a challenging target to work towards. I understand the thing about
"realistic milestones". But I have also seen and experienced that
without aggressive milestones, people (wg members) tend to relax too
easily because there is plenty of time. So I would keep them as is.

Other comments (or nits, no showstopper at all):

- I see: NETMOD: NETCONF Data Modeling
  I would do: NETMOD: NETCONF Data Modeling Language
  After all, this WG will define the Langauge

- Further I see

    In order to leverage existing XML tools for validating NETCONF
    data in various contexts and also facilitate exchange of data
    models and schemas with other IETF working groups, the WG will
    define standard mappings from YANG to the DSDL data modeling
    framework (ISO/IEC 19757) with additional annotations to preserve
    semantics.

  I believe we intended: s/standard mappings/standard mapping rules/
  In other words, we will standardize the rules for the mapping.
  Any actual mapping will have to be done when a real data-model
  module is created.

- I would reword

     While it is desirable to provide a migration path from existing
     MIBs to YANG data models

  into

     While it is desirable to provide a migration path from existing
     MIB modules to YANG data models (modules)

- Other have already raised concerns about:

      However, everything that can be expressed in SMIv2 must be
      expressible in YANG.

  I think the intention is correct, but I don't think we want to require
  all of it (like AGENT CAPABILITIES for example).

- I think I would reword

    3. Mapping of YANG to XML instance data in NETCONF (proposed standard)

  by doing a s/Mapping/Mapping rules/

- Same for

    5. Mapping of YANG to DSDL data modeling framework (ISO/IEC 19757)
      (proposed standard)

   s/Mapping/Mapping rules/

Bert Wijnen