Re: comments on templates

Peter Deutsch <peterd@bunyip.com> Fri, 11 September 1992 23:31 UTC

From: Peter Deutsch <peterd@bunyip.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1992 22:59:00 -0000
To: nir-request@kona.cc.mcgill.ca, nir@cc.mcgill.ca
Subject: Re: comments on templates

[ Jill.Foster@newcastle.ac.uk writes: ]

>  Sorry folks, the deadline for comments on the templates is in fact
>  today.  (Not yesterday as I said in my last message.)

Phew!   :-)

>  I'll enclose both templates for those that have lost them!
>  Thanks in advance for your help.

Errr, that would be me! Actually, they're somewhere in the
1,000 messages in my mail box. This prevents me from using
the excuse that it would take too long to find them...

> ------DRAFT FOR REVIEW AND COMMENTS-------
>
> Application Template (ver. 1.1)
>
>  This template is intended to collect information necessary to identify
>  and track networked information retrieval tools.  It is intended that
>  this will be completed by the individual responsible for the
>  application.
>

>         A.  Application Name:
.  .  .
>         I.  Clients
>                 1.  platforms
>                 2.  where available from
>                 3.  pointer to warnings & bug reports
>                 4.  general comments
>  [Note: do we need in fact a repeat of this section for each client?]

Yes, I think so, although it may be that each client
author offers only the info on his contribution?

.  .  .
>         L.  Documentation -this would be a list of suggested items to be found
>         in a document archives
>                 Note this would be "pointers" to information resource  (the URL)
>                 1.  Document Archives
>                         a)  papers about
>                 2.  current overview
>                 3.  installation instruction
>                         a)  this should be part of client info if appropriate
>                         b)  including copyright statements
>                 4.  instructions to information providers
>                 5.  Frequently Asked Questions
>                 6.  user manuals
>                 7.  training materials
>                         a)  tutorials
>                         b)  canned demos
>                         c)  sample session (screen dumps)
>                         d)  videos
>                         e)  etc.
>                 8.  miscellaneous stuff
>
>         M.  Bibliography (essentially "pointers" to information resource)
>
>         N.  reviews & user comments (if available)
>                 1.  about project, implementation
>                 2.  Strengths and weaknesses

Looking this one over, I don't see a specific subject area
for specific usage info. For example, it might be nice
to have

	 To Use:  telnet "archie.sura.net"
		  login as user "archie"

Of course, there is a "canned demos" and "sample
sessions", but these appear to be buried in the docs
section. It might be nice if something like this was near
the beginning, too.

> ------DRAFT FOR REVIEW AND COMMENTS-------
>
> Organizational Template (ver. 1.1)
>
>  This template is intended to collect information necessary to identify and
> track organizations that are working to promote or develop networked
> information retrieval tools. It is intended that this will be completed by
> the organization.

.  .  .

Hmmm, no comments in the first reading.  Hope this helps...

				- peterd

     He who hasn't hacked assembly language as a youth has no
     heart. He who does so as an adult has no brain.